Facebook has officially unveiled Messenger Rooms on its instant messaging app platform WhatsApp.
Messenger Rooms, which allows up top 50 people to chat on video with no time limit is now available on WhatsApp but only on its web version. However, there are no official words on when Facebook plans to launch The Rooms support on the mobile app.
With this platform, the company aims to give competition to video conference platforms like Zoom, Google Meet etc.
HOW TO CREATE MESSENGER ROOMS VIA WHATSAPP :
- First, open the WhatsApp web on your browser. Go to any of the chats that you want to interact with or have interacted with in the past.
- When you open a new chat window, you will find the attachment icon right next to the search bar on the top right side of your contact name.
- Click on the attachment icon and you will see the list of items you can attach in your chat such as photos, videos, documents, contacts and below contacts icon, you will spot a new icon of Rooms there.
- When you click on Rooms, a new pop-up window will open that will redirect you to a separate messenger rooms page.
- When you reach the Messenger Rooms page, Facebook will ask you to create a Room.
- When you click on the “create a room” option, you will be provided a link that you can share with your contacts so that they can join the conversation.
So by looking at the process, one can conclude that WhatsApp has only received a shortcut to the Messenger Rooms and nothing would happen on WhatsApp’s platform alone.
This means that when you click on the Rooms icon it will take you to a separate platform. However, it is important to note that you don’t have to have a Facebook account in order to join a video call on Messenger Rooms. However, in order to host one, you might require a Facebook account.